‘Jaded’ Magazine Plans to Fold

440
440

‘Jaded’ magazine, a quarterly publication focusing on Asian-American issues and progressive politics and culture, announced recently that it will cease publication after three years at UC Irvine.
The decision is a result of the imminent graduation of all top editors, according to Editor-in-Chief Diana Jou, a fifth-year Asian-American studies major.
‘One of our weaknesses is not recruiting every quarter,’ Jou said. ‘We lose people throughout the year, and this year we’re all graduating.’
The departure of ‘Jaded’ will leave vacant the Asian-American niche in alternative media at UCI and will mean the silencing of a prominent progressive voice on campus.
‘I think there is this community that is interested in progressive politics but doesn’t align with party politics,’ Jou said. ‘The Irvine Progressive has a white liberal perspective. We focus more on race and class issues and look at pop-culture critically. [Jaded is] more social than just political.’
In an effort to encourage others to carry on where ‘Jaded’ left off, editors will sponsor a series of workshops intended to teach interested students how to publish alternative media of their own.
‘We believe in making this more accessible to other people, allowing other people to create their own version of Jaded,’ Jou said.
The three workshops will focus on ideology, external affairs and editing.
‘The purpose of our workshops is to help people make progressive media committed to social justice and with a certain perspective,’ Jou said.
‘Jaded’s’ humble beginnings serve to illustrate the editors’ do-it-yourself sensibilities.
In 2004, Jou was on the board of the Asian Pacific Student Association and was charged with resurrecting an Asian-American publication called ‘Rice Paper.’ After looking at some older issues, she decided instead that she ‘wanted to start something completely different.’
The first issue cost $700 to publish (this cost has now risen to $900 per issue), and with only $200 from the alternative media board, the Jaded staff needed to turn elsewhere for revenue.
APSA bought some ads in the first issue, and some money was ‘donated by parents and people who wanted to see this happen.’ Other funds came from a Peter the Anteater scavenger hunt (the ‘Jaded’ team placed second and won $500) and a bake sale (they made $12 working for one entire day).
Many issues later, ‘Jaded’ got a grant from Campus Progress and ‘no longer had to worry about ridiculous fundraisers.’
Though money is no longer a prohibitive factor for ‘Jaded,’ the publication process is still much the same.
‘We don’t have an office,’ Jou said. ‘We work at my house or at one of our editors’ house.’
Editors work for 36 hours straight right before each issue goes to print.
‘[We say] ‘Why are we doing this magazine? It’s making us insane. We haven’t slept. We didn’t go to class,” Jou said. ‘It’s not because we leave things until the last minute. There are always things to do. Some of us are big control freaks and perfectionists. It wouldn’t get done without a deadline.