Men’s B-Ball Wins In Home Finale

200
200

UC Davis 59
UC Irvine 73
Senior night didn’t exactly go according to plan for senior forwards Nic Campbell and Mark Kelley.
Campbell missed most of the game after spraining his ankle at the 9:32 mark of the first half and Kelley was stuck on the bench plagued by early foul trouble.
It was a different story for the UC Irvine men’s basketball team, however, as they led by as many as 22 points before defeating UC Davis 73-59 in a nonconference game Thursday night at the Bren Events Center.
Campbell awkwardly landed on the foot of a Davis player while fighting for a loose ball. The injury caused him to miss the rest of the game after playing just eight minutes and scoring three points.
‘It was a shame that Nic sprained his ankle because he had been playing really well lately,’ said Head Coach Pat Douglass. ‘I would have liked to see him finish up. But we decided [to err] on the side of caution because we have Long Beach next week then the league tournament.’
Kelley asserted himself in the paint from the opening tip, scoring eight of the team’s first 13 points, helping UCI jump out to an early lead before picking up his second foul.
‘[I] got into foul trouble, not much you can do,’ Kelley said. ‘I thought there were some a little bit suspect calls.’
‘They were in a zone and [Kelley] got some cheap stuff inside,’ Douglass added. ‘He was playing well, then he picks up four fouls.’
Junior forward Patrick Sanders continued his stellar all-around play, leading the Anteaters offensively with 15 points while grabbing eight rebounds, handing out four assists and blocking three shots.
Sanders, the Anteaters’ leading scorer, has scored in double-figures in his past seven games.
Freshman guard Michael Hunter added 13 points