Men’s Tennis Loses to Loyola

Loyola 4
UC Irvine 3
UC Irvine’s men’s tennis team fell to an overall record of 3-3 after a close loss to Loyola Marymount last week. The 4-3 non-conference loss took place at Anteater Tennis Stadium Friday afternoon.
Two of the three doubles matches went to Loyola Marymount giving the Lions a 1-0 lead. Senior Mustafa Ulukan, along with senior Aaron Yovan, claimed the only doubles victory for the No. 75 Anteaters. Together they grabbed an 8-2 victory against the Lions’ Jacek Twarowski and Nico Terrien. Freshman Zach Tsai, along with junior Victor Lamm, faced off against LMU’s Matt Phillips and Nick Perez, but lost with a final score of 8-6. Juniors Andrei Radulescu and Alex Sundling finished doubles play for the Anteaters in an 8-4 loss against the Lions’ Sam Tadevosian and Renzo Maggi.
UCI was able to walk away from singles play winning three of the six sets played. Yovan defeated Terrien 2-1 on the first court with scores of 6-2, 4-6 and 6-3. Sophomore Shimpei Suzuki claimed the next victory for the Anteaters after defeating LMU’s Reyniere Roxas 6-4, 2-6 and 6-2. Tsai brought in the last singles point for UCI after defeating Phillips. LMU’s Nikola Petrov defeated Lamm 2-1 after claiming a 6-2 victory in the third set. Twarowski swept Ulukan 2-0 and Sam Tadevosian beat Radulescu 2-1.
Unfortunately the Anteaters were unable to turn things around during their match on Saturday. UCI’s overall record dropped to 3-4 when the No. 74 University of Las Vegas defeated them 5-2. The non-conference match took place at the Darling Tennis Center in Las Vegas.
The Anteaters claimed the doubles point after winning two of the three matches against the Rebels. Ulukan and Yovan beat UNLV’s Slavko Bijelica and David Campbell 8-5. Radulescu and Sundling’s 8-5 victory over the Rebels’ Jonathan Hooper and Wesley Burrows clenched the second win for UCI.
The only UCI singles point came from Radulescu’s defeat of Burrows. Burrows claimed the first win, but Radulescu won the next two games 6-1 and 7-5. Yovan, Tsai and Lamm were each defeated 2-0, while Sundling and Suzuki were both defeated 2-1. UCI will return home on March 6 to take on Rice.