HomeSportsShooting Around With Angie Ned

Shooting Around With Angie Ned

Senior guard Angie Ned is a fourth-year sociology major and the only senior on the UC Irvine women’s basketball team. Ned has started all 28 games this season and leads the team in scoring, averaging 15 points per game. She scored a career-high 37 points against Loyola Marymount on Dec. 1 and has scored 20 or more points nine times this season.
Head Coach Molly Tuter couldn’t speak more highly of Ned during her years at UCI.
‘Angie is the best all-around ball player that I have had since I’ve been here,’ Tuter said. ‘Her work ethic speaks for itself and that is the reason why she has become the ball player that she is today. She is very competitive, very hard-nosed and never gives up no matter what different situations may arise. I will definitely miss her next year but she will be very successful in the coming years whether she pursues her dream of professional basketball or any other field that she may go after.
‘Angie has always been very determined to improve any weakness that she had. She has spent countless hours working on every aspect of her game.’
Ned and the rest of the women’s basketball team are busy preparing for the final home game of the season against Long Beach on March 3. Ned’s successful career at UCI will then conclude at the end of the Big West Tournament which will be held from March 7-10 at the Anaheim Convention Center. Ned sat down with the New University to talk about her career at UCI.

New University: You were named to the Second Team All-Big West as a sophomore. As a junior you were named the Big West Defensive Player of the Year and All-Big West First Team. You’re in consideration for these awards again this year. How do you feel about these accomplishments?
Angie Ned: The awards have been very flattering and honorable. Only five people win All-Team awards and its nice to be recognized by the players and coaches of the conference.
New U: What was the transition like coming from being an All Sun Belt honoree in high school to coming to UCI to play your college basketball?
Ned: I had to get used to summer training and the quarter system. I definitely needed to study more as it was more demanding than high school. Also I didn’t meet my coach until my season started; in high school I could practice with my coach throughout the off-season. Changing from two-hour practices to four-hour practices and working on my attention span was major also.
New U: What would you attribute your improvement to? From coming off the bench your freshman year to more recently being the go-to player for the Anteaters and winning the various individual awards in the process?
Ned: I was disappointed that I felt I truly didn’t get to show my talents my freshman year. The following summer I dedicated myself to being more focused than ever on offense and defense to get back my playing time.
New U: Lastly, how would you describe your overall experience playing for the UCI Anteaters?
Ned: Our ups and down have built my character and my UCI experience has made me grow. Practicing day-in and day-out I feel will help my future. The team has yet to quit and we don’t plan to.