Around the Ring

Comp Lit Prof Gets Grant from John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation

Director of the University of California Humanities Research Institute and professor of comparative literature David Theo Goldberg, received a grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. The project for which he obtained the grant, ‘The Future of Learning Institutions in a Digital Age’ seeks to find how social and civil institutions can change in accordance with the information age.

Interim Director of the John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute and Duke University professor David Theo Goldberg and Cathy Davidson are co PI’s of the project. Their project will offer suggestions to educational institutions on how they can adapt to information technology and receive maximum benefits. Preparation for the final project involves consultation with leaders in the information technology field. Goldberg and Davidson co-founded the peer-to-peer learning institution called ‘Humanities, Arts, Science and Technology Advanced Collaboratory.’

National Endowment for the Humanities Gives Fellowship to History Profs.

UC Irvine history professors, Steven Topik and Qitao Guo, and art history professor Margaret Miles received the 2007-2008 research fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, which supports research that contributes to the general public’s understanding of humanities.

Topik will use his fellowship to finish his book on the history of coffee. His work entails more than a decade of research and compares the relationship between the coffee-consuming North and coffee-growing South. Guo will use his fellowship to research family genealogies for his Huizhou archives in China project and Brigham Young University Family History Library in Utah. Miles will use her fellowship to spend time in Athens, Rome and Sicily to write a book on Greek religious architecture and its impact on the 18th and 19th century architecture in Western Europe and the United States.

School of Humanities Will Hosts Author E.L. Doctorow

Cosponsored by the Humanities Center, the School of Humanities, the Department of History and the Department of English, E.L. Doctorow will visit UC Irvine on March 8.

Doctorow’s work has been published in 30 languages and his most recent book and New York Times Best-seller, ‘The March’ won the National Book Critics Circle Award and the PEN/Faulkner award. He received the William Dean Howells Medal of the American Academy of Arts and Letters and the National Humanities Medal, from former President Bill Clinton.

Doctorow taught in the UCI writing program at the beginning of his career in the late 60s. While at UCI, he finished his novel, ‘The Book of Daniel,’ which established him as a major American author.

He currently serves as the Lewis and Loretta Glucksman Chair in American Letters at New York University.