191

Excitement and praise filled the Social Science Lecture Hall on Saturday, March 3 as the ladies of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority hosted their ninth annual Gospel Extravaganza. The event got off to a slow start, beginning a half-hour behind schedule, but it proved to more than meet expectations.
Members of the sorority opened the night with a spiritual dance and scripture before starting the music. The gospel showcase featured 11 acts in an assortment of media, including song, dance and poetry.
The first poet to perform was fourth-year psychology and social behavior major Kashif Ross, whose fast rhymes captivated the crowd as he recited words from his spoken-word piece ‘Unfinished Business.’ Ross moved the audience with a powerful poem addressing sinners, hip-hop and trying to stay faithful to God.
Anointed Voices, a UC Irvine choir of six students, performed a soft ballad in a smooth harmony. The students displayed their musical talent in a song that featured each performer individually.
However, acts were not just limited to UCI students. Three choirs from the community participated in the festivities, generating a traditional Baptist church feeling to the atmosphere. The young-adult choir of Triedstone Missionary Baptist Church