March Madness: The Holiest of Holy Sports Tournaments

212
212

March Madness 2007 has officially began and once again UC Irvine students will not have their beloved Anteaters in the NCAA Tournament.
With its loss against the Long Beach State 49ers in the semifinals of the Big West Tournament, the UCI men’s basketball team ended its season and lost in the semifinals for the second consecutive year.
In the history of the men’s basketball program, the school has yet to make it to the big dance and the two times the Anteaters advanced to the finals of the Big West Tournament, they were defeated, most notably in 1994.
College basketball fans will now turn their attention to the NCAA tournament, which will begin on March 15.
For anyone who has time on their hands, there will be 64 games played in just 11 days.
With the brackets completed, there are many intriguing match-ups that will take place within the first few days of the tournament and questions that will need to be answered.
The question on everybody’s mind is whether or not the Florida Gators can repeat as national champions.
The simple answer is ‘no.’ The Gators have been staggering towards the end of the season and seem to have lost the drive, which propelled them to the national title a year ago.
Joakim Noah has lost some of his dominance from a last season and with a potential match-up against Maryland in the Sweet 16, Florida could be in trouble.
The guard play for the Gators has been so inconsistent in setting up the offense that Head Coach Billy Donovan might need to call up Urban Meyer for some help.
The marquee match-up most fans were hoping to see was between Texas’ Kevin Durant and Ohio State’s Greg Oden. Unfortunately, the only way this will happen is if both teams make it to the Final Four