News in Brief

Famed Authors to Visit Orange County for Literary Orange

The Orange County Public Library in partnership with the UC I Libraries have organized the first annual Literary Orange, featuring keynotes speeches from best selling authors Carolyn and Lisa See, Aimee Liu and Thomas Perry.

Literary Orange is a day-long celebration of authors, readers and libraries, which will give members of the community a chance to meet established writers and learn about new artists as well. The libraries hope to strengthen the importance of literacy and literary culture in Orange County.

Carolyn See has received the Robert Kirsch Body of Work Award and a Guggenheim Fellowship in Fiction. Some of her works include ‘The Handyman’ and most recently ‘There will never be another you.’

Lisa See is the author of best seller ‘Snow Flower and the Secret Fan’

Sylvia H. Robb Estate Donates $1.8 Million

The estate of Sylvia H. Robb has donated $1.8 million to UC Irvine, which will divide the gift between the School of Medicine and libraries.

Before Robb’s passing last year at the age of 97, she had built a supportive relationship with the University, offering donations for more than two decades.

‘We appreciate Sylvia’s gifts, which have created a permanent legacy of her remarkable generosity,’ said University Librarian Gerry Munoff. ‘Sylvia valued learning and appreciated the essential role the libraries play in research and education. Her gifts will ensure the continuing excellence of the libraries.’

Vice chancellor for health affairs and dean of the School of Medicine said David N. Bailey said ‘The extremely generous gift from the Sylvia Robb estate will permit the dean’s office to fund a variety of unexpected, important opportunities. … I am absolutely delighted to receive this gift during my very first week at UC Irvine, and I thank the Robb estate.’