Make Another World

If ever Idlewild were damned as another byproduct of the 1990s UK indie-punk sound, they’ve risen above expectations. Through the muck of early-1980s punk, post-punk and New Wave, Idlewild stands far from the jangle and twee-pop stereotypes of yore. The monumental influence and effect of The Smiths, The Stone Roses and The Jesus and Mary Chain on 1990s indie-rock brought Idlewild’s sound full circle, releasing a long-incubated musical style in their latest brainchild, ‘Make Another World,’ reminiscent of Blur, Gang of Four, some Nirvana and a lot of R.E.M.
In 12 years trudging through fans, fame and labels with varying degrees of success, losing band members and initiating new ones, Idlewild has maintained its signature sound. Roddy Woomble’s undeniable vocals, guitarists Rod Jones’ and Allan Stewart’s hard-rock riffs, drummer Colin Newton’s infectious beats and bassist Gareth Russell’s steady-as-a-train licks make Idlewild the band they are.
KROQ’s Rodney on the Roq’s ‘London Calling’ program exposed Idlewild’s hallmark sound to nocturnal U.S. kids with ‘The Remote Part.’
Anticipation of their latest release has been undeniable, and ‘Make Another World’ is no disappointment.
Each track is as enjoyable as the next. The danceable sounds of ‘No Emotion’ and the soft trumpet outro among sonic dreamlike sequences in ‘Future Works’ are variations on the theme of excellence. The electronic tirade of ‘Ghost in the Arcade’ and ‘Make Another World’ make for a varying milieu of sound, as their R.E.M and Blur influences reach a happy plateau of auricular decadence.
The epic harmonies in ‘You and I Are Both Away’ are as infectious and precisely implemented as Beirut’s ‘Elephant Gun.’ Showcasing trademark Idlewild, their attributes combine the lyrical sensitivity of The Smiths with a melodic harmony created all on their own.
There are no go-go boots, new-scene haircuts or angry kids with Sharpied ‘X’s on the backs of their hands on this record. You won’t find a used-tissue mess of emotions and sensitivity, bleak poems of darkness or heavy eyeliner. This album is good old-fashioned rock-and-roll in its purest and most innovative form. Beyond the three-chord punk anthem and past the bubblegum pop of 1950s teenagers, Idlewild is as rock as they come.
Although first impressions of ‘Make Another World’ may not live up to the powerful debut track, ‘You Held the World in Your Arms,’ this latest release is another step forward into the endless creativity Idlewild has shown time and time again. ‘Make Another World’ takes the cake.
Rating: 4.5/5