Sony Gives the Power of the Gods to Gamers

Lucky for us UC Irvine gamers, Sony released ‘God of War II’ for PlayStation 2 just before spring break. The sequel picks up where its predecessor left off, and luckily (since nothing was really broken), plays very much the same.
In the original 2005 hit, Kratos, a Spartan warrior endowed with Olympian weaponry by Ares, the God of War, fights the forces of evil and Hades in an acclaimed third-person action adventure. Slain by Zeus, he is resurrected from Hades by the Earth Goddess Gaia, and retakes his Blades of Chaos to save Athens again in this sequel.
‘God of War’ is fundamentally based on Ubisoft’s ‘Prince of Persia’ third-person action series: Sony borrows high-flying, ‘on-rails’ interactive cut-scenes, gravity-defying acrobatics including jumping, swinging, ledge-crawling, intermittent ‘bullet-time’ inserted into combat and linear level design.
However, their development teams are much more sophisticated and have much deeper coffers than Ubisoft, as is evidenced by the superior presentation, which is accentuated first by absolutely stunning graphics. This may be the pinnacle of PS2 graphics. Although it’s tough to say it handles lighting any better than Capcom’s ‘Resident Evil 4,’ it certainly is stunning to see sprawling cityscapes, the underworld of Hades, stone precipices and other digital areas of Olympus and Athens rendered with perfectly cast shadows, particle effects, fluid volumetric fog and water and flawless textures.
Furthermore, Sony has stacked the title with all the necessary enhancements for your entertainment system: widescreen, progressive scan and surround sound. Those of you who dropped the dough on a shiny new PlayStation 3 will get a bonus by playing the game on your system: ‘God of War II’ will run in 720p high-definition resolution on the PS3.
Gameplay is significantly better than that of ‘Prince of Persia.’ Kratos and all other character models have much more fluid animations, collisions are smoother and the repertoire of attacks is broader. Although he lacks the innovative ‘sands of time’ from ‘Prince,’ has his own unique collection of attacks that are initiated using magic. Besides the variety of combos possible with the Blades of Chaos