Game Lab Enters $1.35 Million Partnership

A new partnership between UC Irvine’s Cal-IT2 Computer Game Culture and Technology Laboratory researchers and Korean researchers began April 5 in hopes that the three-year collaboration with the Center for Digital Industry Promotion in Daegu City, Korea, will advance digital gaming technology as well as information sharing.
The cooperation over a high-speed digital network will cost $1.35 million. A new facility, the Daegu Global R&D Collaboration Center, will be created in Daegu City as a center for the trans-Pacific research project.
According to a press release, Walt Scacchi, associate director of research of the Cal-IT2 Game Lab, hopes that the partnership will ‘expand domestic and international markets for computer games that incorporate new technology to facilitate cross-cultural game play and development.’
The first steps of the project will involve improving long-distance communication via Internet as well as developing tools, techniques and infrastructure that will link the UCI game lab to the Daegu Global R&D Collaboration Center and others in Daegu. The establishment of a high-speed broadband communication infrastructure will allow both countries to effectively communicate via high-definition Internet videoconferencing and other environments related to sharing information. Finally, researchers will focus on creating heterogeneous game networks and new game devices for developing games beyond the next generation.
Scacchi has high hopes for building a ‘viable’ network-based infrastructure that will allow educators, students, game researchers and developers to collaborate from such great distances. During the next three years, Korean managers, scholars and CEOs will visit UCI for conferences and conduct informal workshops through the information-sharing infrastructure.
According to their mission statement, Game Lab focuses on ‘how game metaphors, design principles, and technologies can be utilized for alternative content and context delivery. The approach combines theory and practice, art and science, education and entertainment to create an environment that supports diverse forms of expression in a wide range of applications.’