Pres. Elections Should Meet ‘American Idol’

I vote every week for my favorite ‘American Idol’ contestant. In this way, I feel I am doing my democratic duty for America, especially since I forgot to vote in last November’s congressional election. Recently, it occurred to me that I care more about the election of the next ‘American Idol’ than the election of the next president, which made me think: Wouldn’t it be great if they turned the presidential election into a weekly television show?
During the last presidential election only 55.3 percent of the American population actually turned out to vote.
But such a show would make the election easily accessible to everyone. Right now I, and much of America, have no idea what is going on in the presidential primaries. Who exactly is running for president? Hillary Clinton, That Guy Who Was Mayor of New York and Barrack O’What’s-His-Face? How is one supposed to keep track, and where is the motivation to care? Broadcasting in the United States could solve this inability of most Americans to pay attention to elections.
The concept of the show would center around the nominees debating one another on political issues such as foreign policy and education every week. Much like ‘American Idol,’ each contestant would be under the scrutiny of judges. This will give America the opportunity to know where each candidate stands on the important issues and be able to more thoroughly judge who is right for the position.
My intention is not to interrupt the actual structure of the election. Americans should still vote in November at polling places, using official ballots. This is just simply because, on shows such as ‘Idol,’ viewers tend to become obsessive and vote over and over again. That is not exactly fair in this situation.
Every week, America could vote for their favorite as part of the national polls. The person with the most numbers could get some sort of nifty prize, something useless like Montana, and the person with the least number would be asked to leave the show, but would still technically be in the running for the presidency.
Since personal character is so important to the election process, I suggest that all the candidates live together, like they do on ‘The Real World.’ This would create drama on the show with situations such as: ‘After Hillary Clinton and Rudolph Guiliani’s huge fight over who would go purchase milk from the supermarket yesterday, now the game is personal. How will this affect their debate tonight?’
Also, Americans would understand the candidates’ lives and then be able to determine if they have the type of personality that should be running our country. ‘I’m not voting for John Edwards