Shallow Sorority Shuns Sisters

Sororities are infamous for three things: recruitment drives at the beginning of every quarter, wild parties every week and houses filled with attractive young women. Ensuring the last item is what may have granted the Delta Zetas some undesirable media attention.
The real trouble began back in August 2006 when the national chapter of Delta Zeta decided to close the house at the end of the school year, reorganize and possibly return to the DePauw University campus at a later date. Cindy Menges, executive director of Delta Zeta’s national office in Oxford, Ohio, states that the move had been discussed by all members of Delta Zeta. However, in December, the chapter caught 22 of its 54 members at DePauw University off-guard by cutting them. Things only got worse one week before finals when Menges, rather than talking to the women individually, mailed 22 of the members a letter which stated that they were to be relieved of their duties and would have to leave the house at the end of the quarter.
Menges claims that the university was well aware of the chapter’s move to cut some of the girls and that the backlash they received from DePauw was unwarranted. DePauw Director of Greek Life Thomas Hansen admitted he was informed that a few girls would require housing in January. Yet Hansen was told that only nine girls would need a new place to live, not 22.
Controversy began to overwhelm the Deltas when people began to notice just who was asked to leave and who was asked to stay. Of the 22 girls, 19 were deemed ‘unattractive’ by Delta Zeta standards. This was condemned as deplorable by university officials.
DePauw Dean of Students Cindy Babington believes there is yet another reason why the girls were cut. Babington believes that the Deltas were becoming well-known for their diversity, and while that might be something to strive for in other groups, many young women look for conformity in a sorority. Conformity is exactly what the Deltas got.
Out of a total of 54 Delta members on the DePauw campus, only six remain. Not only were the aforementioned 22 cut, but six of the remaining 12 quit in protest. As a result, DePauw has decided to cut ties with the sorority completely. The Delta Zeta chapter will be allowed to stay on campus until the end of the school year, after which it will no longer have a place on campus.
If the Deltas really were reorganizing their group in order to make it more appealing, cutting over half of its members based on the way they look is no way to do it. On the Delta Zeta’s main Web site (http://www.deltazeta.org), Menges claims that the girls were cut because they were not committed to recruiting new members.
Despite what Menges says, it’s hard to ignore the fact that all 22 members did not fit the cookie-cutter image of a sorority woman. Race aside, the women who were cut were slightly overweight, had hair colors besides blonde and were not too concerned with their appearance. Furthermore, during a recent rush event, the 22 girls who were cut from the sorority were asked to remain upstairs in their rooms and stay out of sight the entire night.
This can’t be dismissed as a coincidence. Delta Zeta’s actions were far from appropriate, and its recent move to sue the school is only making it look worse. So they got kicked off campus