Baseball Drops Two of Three to Big West Leaders (Part 3)

The UC Irvine baseball team had a chance to capture its third straight series to open conference play but were blown out on Sunday, April 15 by Cal Poly 12-0 at Anteater Ballpark.
Big innings continued to be the downfall of the Anteaters as the team gave up four runs in both the third and fourth innings to put itself in an early 8-0 hole from which they never recovered.
It is never a good sign when a team records the same number of hits as errors, and for UCI, its defensive mistakes cost them dearly.
The team committed four errors, including one that led to three unearned runs in the third inning while recording only four hits on the night.
Junior first baseman Taylor Holiday was the long bright spot for the Anteaters, reaching base twice on a base hit and a walk.
UCI starting pitcher Christian Bergman was tagged with his third loss of the season (0-3) after giving up six hits, four runs, one earned, in just two-and-two-thirds innings of work.
Cal Poly starter Thomas Eager improved to 7-2 after pitching scoreless baseball in seven plus innings.
The Anteaters were shut out for just the fourth time this season and with the pair of defeats at the hands of Cal Poly, UCI’s overall record now stands at 25-10-1 and 5-4 in the Big West Conference.
Cal Poly retains its top spot in the conference with a 7-2 record in the Big West.
UCI will be back in action when it takes on USC on Tuesday at home at 6 p.m. in a non conference game before traveling out to UC Santa Barbara for a three-game series starting on Friday, April 20.