Baseball Tops USC; Wins Series Against Gauchos: Sunday

The UC Irvine men’s baseball team pulled off a much needed series win against the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos on Sunday afternoon after holding on for a 7-6 victory.
The Gauchos entered the bottom of the ninth inning trailing 7-5, but left the bases loaded.
UCI senior reliever Dylan Axelrod came in the game in the ninth with a runner on first base and one out.
Axelrod got the first batter he faced to fly out before giving up back to back singles, allowing one run to score and cutting UCI’s lead to 7-6.
With runners on first and second base, Axelrod walked Santa Barbara’s Mike Zunaich to load the bases before getting Matt Anderson to fly out to right field, ending the game.
UCI pulled away in the third inning, scoring five runs, highlighted by a bases-loaded single by senior left-fielder Matt Morris, which drove in two UCI players.
Freshman pitcher Eric Pettis recorded the win, pitching five and two-thirds innings and giving up three runs, while Axelrod recorded his fourth save of the season.
UCI’s record now stands at 28-11-1 overall and 7-5 in the Big West Conference.
The Anteaters will face Loyola Marymount on the road in a non-conference game on Tuesday, April 24 before opening up a three game non-conference series at Anteater Ballpark versus UC Davis from April 27 to 29.