A.G. Gonzales: Corrupt, Amnesiac or Both?

So what if Attorney General Alberto Gonzales showed himself to be an unremitting liar in his testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee last week? At least he isn’t disloyal.
President George W. Bush has created an atmosphere at the White House in which loyalty to his policies is more prized than any system of checks and balances or ethics. Gonzales, since his days as counsel for Bush when he was the governor of Texas, has repeatedly shown his inability to adequately provide counsel, or as Sen. Patrick Leahy put it in 2005, has a propensity for serving as a ‘facilitator rather than an independent force in the policy-making process.’
When still in Texas with Bush, Gonzales facilitated more executions in that state during his term as counsel than any other state. Picking missteps in a career like that of Gonzales’ is like picking just one ASUCI financial controversy to criticize: There are just too many in recent memory from which to choose.
Also during that period, Gonzales failed to tell Bush, in a memo, the possibly salient detail that a Death Row inmate’s lawyer had slept through parts of the jury selection process.
Furthermore, in a leaked memo from 2002, Gonzales objected to giving basic human rights to those captured in the war on terror. Instead of speaking up about how far over legal boundaries many in the White House were going, Gonzales toed the line, helping to set the stage for the Abu Ghraib scandal.
Despite his ineffective leadership, Gonzales has continued to be promoted since first latching onto Bush 13 years ago in Texas. For the man who has pumped up his career since 1994, Gonzales clearly has no reason to tell the truth anymore, unless it benefits or otherwise pleasures the president.
The Attorney General’s recent amnesiac testimony included some statement of forgetfulness, such as ‘I do not recall,’ 71 times. Those questioning Gonzales on the Senate Judiciary Committee