Audrye Sessions Perform at the Moscow

If you’d been at Club Moscow at Boardner’s last Wednesday, you would’ve thought that the band on stage was straight from the glossy pages of your favorite fashion magazine. But Oakland natives Audrye Sessions impressed an arrogant, cross-armed audience with lullaby tunes in support of their upcoming release.
The lounge area was filled with Los Angeles’ old-enough-to-club-but-not-drink crowd. More noticeable than the seemingly flawless long haircuts of all male attendants and half-sleeved women with tattoos in French dresses was that everyone seemed to have a cigarette in hand.
The four-piece indie outfit separated themselves from their kindred spirits with epic build-ups and vocal sensitivity, especially from lead singer Ryan Karazija. Upon listening to the opening song in their set, it was easy to hear the influence of British giants Radiohead, particularly with Karazija’s calming and high-stretching frequencies. ‘The Crows Came in Day…’ displayed bright piano chords and acoustic guitar to lure a fading lover back home.
At this point, many in the crowd constantly looked side-to-side to see if their peers were accepting of Sessions’ catchy melodies. Many of those unsure caught themselves in the middle of some head-nodding before freezing to save face.
The Oakland natives immediately went into the fuller sounds of ‘She Had To Leave.’ Lead guitarist Michael Knox’s soloing abilities furthered the band’s integrity. Although these rockers may not have been ghost-riding the whip, it’s safe to say they’ve joined the ranks of other acts from the City by the Bay that are finally getting some attention.
Older fans of Sessions may have left the short half-hour set disappointed, not having exercised their sing-along needs. The epic and uplifting ‘Relentless,’ a favorite of the band as a closer for their shows back home, was nowhere to be found. Also missing was the danceable ‘No One Is Listening’ and the intergalactic introduction of ‘Elliot.’ But these same fans can cross their fingers: The quartet is close to the end of recording and may find these old favorites on their first album, which has no official release date yet.
It was obvious that the band was missing a significant member. Anton Patzner, who originally became a member when he saw Audrye Sessions perform, was not on stage to play his essential violin additions and keyboard sound effects. But the Audrye Sessions had help on hand to provide some acoustic accompaniment. Some members of Poor Bailey, another Bay Area indie alternative collective, helped fans almost forget about Patzner’s absent musical virtuosity.
With energy and confidence from their SXSW music festival appearance and mini-West Coast tour, Audrye Sessions proved why both Northern and Southern California music enthusiasts should be on the lookout for their upcoming independent release.