Men and Women Get ‘Knocked Up’ With Equal Doses of Romantic Pleasure

Worst-case scenario: You’re a young and beautiful career woman who has just received a promotion from your boss to host your own show on E! To celebrate, you get smashed at a club, hook up with the first guy to buy you a beer and finish off the rest of the evening with a passionate, but only vaguely memorable, one-night stand. The next morning, not only are you hung over, but there is a fully naked and grotesquely hairy fat man drooling all over your sheets.
It’s not the end of the world yet, right? Well, it isn’t until eight weeks later, when you’re puking during an interview with James Franco that you realize that ‘Armageddon’ isn’t just a movie anymore, it’s the real deal. Congratulations, you’re screwed.
True to its title, ‘Knocked Up,’ screened at HIB 100 by the Associated Students of UC Irvine, is a movie about the consequences of becoming knocked up. Written and directed by Judd Apatow (‘The 40-Year-Old Virgin’), this comedy uses crude humor to make the penalties of irresponsibility simultaneously hilarious and ridiculous. The story unfolds like a twisted Disney fairytale in which beauty meets beast, beauty hooks up with beast and beauty has a bastard child because they didn’t use protection.
Ben Stone (Seth Rogan) is the epitome of every mother’s nightmare. He is sloppy, sleazy, fat deadbeat. In contrast, Allison Scott (Katherine Heigl) is the ultimate blonde bombshell. So how is their relationship going to survive when they are thrown into the position of raising a child together? The movie follows their journey through the process of preparing to have a baby and includes an outstanding lineup of comedians from Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd (who co-starred in ‘Virgin’) to Jason Segal, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill and Martin Starr. There are also frequent cameos from celebrities like Ryan Seacreast, Jessica Alba and the original woman repellent, Steve Carell.
However, unlike Apatow’s successful ‘Virgin,’ this movie seems to overexert itself with obscenity. Certain lines that are funny for the first two minutes quickly lose their humor and some jokes cross into an uncomfortable zone that has viewers fidgeting in their seats.
Furthermore, the movie struggles to identify with a position on Ben and Allison’s situation. Though this comedy ends with the birth of their baby, it tries too hard to appeal to the warmness of a romantic comedy while maintaining the crudeness of fart jokes and one-liners. Like all movies catering to the MTV generation, some of the comedy is too generic and idealistic. It also proposes the question: What’s the point of marriage if every married person in this movie seems so unhappy?
Still, ‘Knocked Up’ is worth two hours of a Friday night because it provides a good amount of humor that’s found in Apatow’s prior works. Like ‘Virgin,’ one can’t help but fall in love with both Allison and Ben