News in Brief

Jimmy Carter Will Visit the Bren to Discuss Israel Palestine Conflict This Week

Former President Jimmy Carter will be speaking about the conflict between Israel and Palestine at the UC Irvine Bren Events Center this Thursday, May 3, and will answer questions from the audience accordingly.

His address will begin at 10:30 a.m. and students are encouraged to submit questions for the former president beforehand to the panel.

Carter is known for his groundbreaking work in the Camp David Accords between Egypt and Israel in 1979. His recent book, ‘Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid’ focuses on Middle East issues. His address at UCI will reflect the current conflict.

He received the Nobel Prize in 2002 in recognition of his ‘effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts, to advance democracy and human rights and to promote economic and social development.’ This visit is hosted by the Center for the Study of Democracy and the student-led Model United Nations, in collaboration with the Center for Citizen Peacebuilding and the Department of Political Science. For ticket information, visit www.socsci.uci.edu/events.carter.

Beckman Laser Institute Director Elected SPIE Fellow

Among the 56 new honorees for significant scientific and technical contributions in biomedical optics of The International Society for Optical Engineering is Bruce J. Tromberg, director of the Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic at UC Irvine.

Tromberg has made several contributions to the field of biomedical optics: tissue optical spectroscopy, non-linear microscopy, frequency-domain photon migration and photodynamic therapy. He is also a leader in optical tomography and methods involving photon migration to examine laser energy on tissue.

A Distinguished figure in the biomedical community, Tromberg has chaired meetings of the Optical Society of America and panels of the National Institutes of Health. He has been a member of the SPIE Publicaions Committee, editing SPIE’s Journal of Biomedical Optics since 1999, and will complete his two-year term on the SPIE Board of Directors this year. Aside from chairing 10 conferences, Tromberg has authored 115 proceedings papers, 14 book chapters and 140 peer-reviewed papers.