The Face to Face of Keith’s ‘Punk Rock’

When Face to Face arrived on the punk scene in the early ’90s, they used what probably initially made them want to become rock stars: the radio. When KROQ got a hold of Face to Face in the early ’90s, they must have played this Victorville, Calif. band’s single ‘Disconnected’ to death.
Yet Face to Face remained unknown, growing in fame through an underground network of fans, while the likes of new-school pop-punkers Blink 182 and The Offspring flew off the charts. The impact Face to Face had on the genre, however, is more telling in today’s music sphere than ever before, an achievement far greater than 15 minutes of pop-punk stardom.
‘Punk Rock Eats Its Own’ was screened as a part of the American Film Institute’s Music Documentary Series, which showed several documentaries and notable films from a wide range of musicians covering a spectrum of genres, from Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ to a film about the Buena Vista Social Club of Cuba. Most notably, the series featured films depicting the musical artistry of the likes of Metallica, Radiohead and Tupac, and even included ‘This is Spinal Tap.’
Directed by Face to Face frontman guitarist and lead singer Trever Keith, ‘Punk’ showcases the band through its more than 13 years of existence. Viewers see their turmoil and triumphs through interviews and years of well-preserved archival footage.
‘Originally this was going to be a lot of things