Adrenaline Rush of Math at the House of Blues

So tell me, what happened to those great rock bands that used to sell out arenas and stadiums that could seat thousands? It seems smaller venues are the trend, and as cheesy as it sounds, big things can come in small packages. Mute Math’s gig at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles on Wednesday, April 25 is one such example: a colossal performance in a meek setting.
It would have been nice if a good opening band like Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin kicked off the night for Mute Math, but unfortunately, that honor was given to Club of the Sons. This band sounded like a joke. From their overdone glam rock outfits to their awkward versions of the robot dance on stage, they gave the audience a good laugh to distract them from the music.
Thankfully, Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin brought the audience out of a confused daze from Club of the Sons’ performance. Paying their respects to the former Russian president from whom the band’s name is taken, and who had passed on less than a week earlier, Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin put on a pretty good show.
The band wasn’t breathtaking, but that might be attributed to their easygoing sounds distinct from a majority of fast-paced rock bands today. Remarkably, this indie-pop band from Springfield, Mo. is comparable to The Shins. Their buoyant and optimistic songs such as ‘Oregon Girl’ and ‘Half Awake Deb’ keep them from drowning among the monotonous sounds of generic pop/rock bands. Lively but not corny, laid back but hardly a bore, Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin’s spirited melodies are as nostalgic as those summer afternoons spent riding your bike around the block when life was simple and sweet.
Mute Math’s self-titled 2006 release does not give their music as much justice as their live performance did in West Hollywood. This electronic rock band, who kicked off their tour with their smash hit ‘Typical,’ is anything but.
The strength, energy and fearlessness of Mute Math are incomparable to most hard rock acts you’ve seen but not as bizarre as Ozzy Osbourne biting the head off a bat. The grandeur of Mute Math can be credited not only to vocalist and key-tarist Paul Meany but also to drummer Darren King.
King was welcomed with cheers as he wrapped duct-tape around his headphones and head, his signature act, but just as in other shows that he has done, not all the duct-tape on one roll could keep King’s gear in place. His seemingly inhuman drumming caused his headphones to eventually fly off during ‘Chaos’ and shattered the multiple drumsticks he held in each hand. After Meany’s acrobatics and intimate involvement with the audience