The Relay for Life

Leslie Sinclair, a fourth-year social ecology major and skin cancer patient, wrote an e-mail: ‘Hey! I’m doing this event. It means a lot to me. It serves a lot of people. Please, if you are capable, donate.’
A few weeks later on Sunday, April 30, Sinclair was pronounced the participant that raised the most money for Relay for Life: $4,065. This amount was more than three times what was brought in by the second-place fundraiser.
Sinclair was one of the 21 registered survivors at Relay for Life. She has been a survivor since she was 16 years old.
‘The day you are diagnosed is the day you become a survivor,’ she explains.
On that day, she found a mole on her back, which was unusual for a red-haired, freckled-faced person.
Angry, she thought to herself, ‘Damn it, cancer. Cancer is not gonna kill me. There are so many things I want to do.’ Sinclair was optimistic and, after the removal of the lump, her life continued uas usual for another four years. After that, however, she found another lump in the same area. Along with that lump, she removed 31 lymph nodes, 19 of which were positive for cancer.
Since then, her skin cancer spreaded to her limbs and eyes. She wears a prosthetic eye and though her limbs have recovered (for the most part), her doctors recently discovered three brain tumors, two of which were removed. Sinclair is awaiting results of a scan.
‘It’s been hard having to plan [my] life around it,’ Sinclair said. ‘If the scan is good, I go to summer school and I’ll start school full time again in the Fall and I’ll be on track to graduate June of next year and I’ll apply for graduate school. But if not, I have to put off graduate school, have a little bit more fun, and do some of the things I want to do because