‘Blind Dating’ Leaves Viewers Lost

‘Blind Dating,’ a new romantic comedy now playing in theaters, would be a nice change from all the drama that has flooded television and cinema over the past few years if it weren’t so rushed and inconsistent in its plot.
Directed by James Keach, ‘Blind Dating,’ a screening of which was presented by the Associated Students of UC Irvine on Tuesday, May 8, follows the life of Danny (Chris Pine) as he searches for love and self-discovery. The only surprise in this plot is that Danny is blind, so ‘Blind Dating’ has more than one meaning in this movie.
As early as the opening scene, unnecessary vulgarity is used to add a comedic hue to the life of a blind kid as he learns some of life’s most important lessons (no Danny, that girl moaning on TV isn’t dying). The movie cuts to Danny’s young adulthood, where he seems to have a problem with the fact that he is a 22-year-old virgin who thinks that girls don’t like him because is ugly. His overly horny therapist (Jane Seymour) strips down during their therapy session to display her great disagreement with this statement.
To try to avoid being a typical romantic comedy, ‘Dating’ adds some cultural differences to perhaps spice up its predictable plot, but fails at doing this without completely stereotyping every group it portrays. Danny’s brother Larry (Eddie Kaye Thomas) seems to possess the family’s Italian background as a sleezeball. He’s a Tony Soprano-loving limo driver who uses his limo service to, in essence, be a pimp to his ‘lady friends,’ a.k.a. sloppy hookers. Larry does have his moments of sincerity, but usually provides the movie with all of the uncomfortable vulgarity that seems to just spill out of his mouth (even at the dinner table), yet Danny still trusts him to pick out sane blind dates.
Next is Danny’s best friend, Jay (Pooch Hall), an African-American. Where is the first place that they go? To play a pickup basketball game, of course. And in the movie’s cheesy approach at showing Danny’s skills, he and Jay reenact the worst rendition of ‘White Men Can’t Jump’ to date, in which Danny completely obliterates a seemingly skilled, big and tall basketball player in a game of HORSE. Jay’s overly dramatic responses to everything are typical of the acting throughout the movie.
The huge dilemma in the film is between Danny and his love interest, Leeza (Anjali Jay), who is not only engaged to be married but also Indian and, as we all learned from ‘Bend it Like Beckham,’ Indians and Italians can’t get married, or so the plot weakly alludes. The problem isn’t that Leeza is engaged or Indian, however, but that Leeza and Danny have only just met, and for them to develop such a connection in a matter of days is unlikely.
The movie is inconsistent, to say the least. And even though its running time is approximately 95 minutes, it is still quite rushed, as if they jammed too many ideas into one movie.
With all of the cultural clashes and sleazy hookers flying in every direction, it’s easy to forget that Danny is also trying to regain his sight through a very risky experiment that involves brain surgery, but that aspect of the movie proves to be unimportant. His priorities