News in Brief

‘ZotAlert’ is the new emergency alert system using text messaging at UC Irvine for students in cases of natural disasters, crisis response or need to secure the campus.

Students are strongly encouraged to add their cell phone numbers to the university by visiting the following Web site: www.reg.uci.edu/studentaccess, clicking ‘Change of Address’ and updating their contact (including emergency) information.

Also, faculty and staff members are asked to sign up for ZotAlert messages by visiting www.uci.edu/phupdate, logging in and updating their profile with an emergency cell phone number.

Those signed up by Wed., May 16 may participate in a system test planned for later that week.

Chancellor Selects Five Delegates for UC Senior Leadership Program

Chancellor Michael V. Drake has selected five individuals for the University of California Senior Leadership Institute, a program for administrative and academic leaders who could serve the university at the highest levels, which will run from June 17 to 21 in San Diego.

The recipients include: Ramona Agrela, assistant dean of the Claire Trevor School of the Arts, Michael Arias, assistant executive vice chancellor of academic affairs, Kristen Day, professor of planning, policy and design in the school of social ecology and a fellow of the American Council on Education, Jim Earthman, associate vice chancellor for research and professor of chemical engineering and materials science and biomedical engineering, Cathy Lawhon, media relations director in the Office of University Communications. Carolyn Boyd, dean of graduate studies, is an alternate.

Three Irvine Researchers Named Microbiology Fellows

Three professors, Francisco Ayala, Sandri-Goldin and Bert Semler, have been chosen to be fellows of the American Academy of Microbiology, the highest honor in the field. Fellows are elected based on scholarly achievement in microbiology.

Ayala, University Professor and Donald Bren Professor of Biological Sciences, is a leading evolutionary biologist and a recipient of the National Medal of Science.

Sandri-Goldin, professor and chair of the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, is a leading researcher on the herpes virus.

Semler, a professor of microbiology and molecular genetics, studies the nature of virus growth in human cells; he has also received the Outstanding Research Award from the School of Medicine.