The NBA Playoffs, Roger Clemens, the NFL Draft and Lord Stanley’s Cup

After Bruce Bowen ‘inadvertently’ kneed Steve Nash in the crotch, it was obvious that the NBA playoffs are starting to get serious.
With most of the unworthy teams already knocked out of the postseason, it seems like either the Spurs, Suns or Pistons will win the championship.
The Golden State Warriors have been a nice story for the playoff starved Bay Area fans but the recent influx of bandwagon fans such as Jessica Alba and Owen Wilson has been despicable. Where were these so-called fans during the Chris Mullin days?
All the pundits have declared the winner of the Spurs and Suns series as the next NBA Champions and my money is still on the Suns.
It was also announced that Dirk Nowitzki was named Most Valuable Player and his performance against Golden State was sure to make the voters happy.
Nowitzki will become the first player in over 25 years to win the award and not have his team win a playoff series. His consistent complaining and fear of attacking the basket not only advanced his image as a soft player but was one of the main reasons his Mavericks were eliminated from the playoffs. I’m sure David Stern is looking forward to the award ceremony this Tuesday.
In baseball, the big news was Roger Clemens’ signing with the Yankees.
Clemens had his chance to wash away his sins last week but once again he chose to join the evilest of empires.
After leaving Boston in 1996, Clemens was not hated for his decision to sign with the Blue Jays because it was mostly General Manager Dan Duqueete’s decision to let him go.
The Red Sox nation understood Clemens’ need to get a championship and was even willing to forget his five-year Yankees career.
After leaving Houston and speculation surrounding that Clemens would join either the Red Sox or Yankees, Clemens had the chance to redeem himself and retire with the franchise that started his illustrious career.
Instead he chose to throw away his storybook ending and will be remembered as the Benedict Arnold to many Red Sox fans.
The NFL Draft also got a lot of hype in the past week and is quickly becoming the second biggest day on the football calendar next to the Super Bowl.
Brady Quinn did his best Aaron Rogers impression, dropping about twenty spots after the Raiders picked Jamarcus Russell.
Outside of the Raiders, you can’t really blame the other California team for their draft picks. The San Diego Chargers took wide-receiver Craig Davis in the first round more out of desperation and need. Davis will help in the wide-out position but it’s not a stretch to suggest that following the numerous dropped balls against the Patriots in last season’s AFC Division game, general manager A.J. Smith wanted to make sure Philip Rivers had someone else to throw the ball to besides his tight end Antonio Gates and running back LaDainian Tomlinson.
The circumstances around Randy Moss also proved to be ironic. It seemed every team hated him unless he was potentially going to be traded to their organization.
Even Packers quarterback Brett Favre was upset with the organization after it failed to pull the trigger on the Moss deal.
Mind you, this is the same Randy Moss who pretended to moon Packers fans after scoring a touchdown in a playoff game.
I’m glad the Patriots ended up with him because only this organization can turn the less than motivated wide-out into the player he once was during those years with the Minnesota Vikings.
Moss will either become the Corey Dillon of the Patriots or turn into the Terrell Owens of the Eagles. For the Patriots, it was well worth the risk of simply giving up a fourth round draft pick to see which version of Randy Moss they receive when the reason begins in September.
The race for the Stanley Cup is also tightening and it’s always good to see your hometown team do well. Though I have little interest in hockey it is still more interesting than watching Barry Bonds’ attempt to break Hank Aaron’s home run record.
The Anaheim Ducks got unlucky in game one and continued to struggle on the power play in the second game but were able to even up the series.
My only hope is that they reach the Stanley Cup Finals so fans can see the Cup brought home to Anaheim.
I remember in 2003 when the team advanced to the finals and fans were allowed to take pictures with it at the Buena Park Mall. Standing in the presence of the Cup was simply a majestic experience.
Hockey might be one of the least cared about sports in this country, but its championship trophy is by far the best out of all the sports.