UCI Pulls Off Unbelievable Sweep: Saturday

The UC Irvine baseball team notched its 11th series victory on Saturday with a 4-3 win over Pacific. The victory was also Head Coach Dave Serrano’s 100th career win.
Junior Wes Etheridge was stellar, striking out eight and surrendering just three earned runs over seven and a third innings of work. His effort set up senior Blair Erickson’s opportunity to record his conference leading 12th save. Erickson was asked to record four outs for the save and delivered. He was dominant on the mound, allowing no hits and striking out three.
The Anteaters scored in the second inning as Ben Orloff worked a bases-loaded walk for a 1-0 lead. UCI added a run in the fifth on freshman Jeff Cusick’s sacrifice fly.
In the sixth inning, senior Cody Cipriano ripped an RBI triple to increase the UCI lead 3-1. The Anteaters were the beneficiaries of their fourth run thanks to an error by Pacific in the eighth. It proved to be the difference as the Tigers rallied for two runs in the bottom of the eighth before Erickson squashed the rally with a strikeout.
Ollie Linton continued to add to his unforgettable weekend. He went three for four, and hit another triple. Entering Sunday, Linton had collected eight hits in his last nine at bats. The red-shirt sophomore has been quite the spark plug for the Anteaters all season.