News in Brief

More Young Women Involved in Alcohol-Related Car Crash Fatalities

According to a study over a 10-year period led by emergency medical physicians with the Center for Trauma and Injury Prevention Research at the UC Irvine Medical Center, the involvement of young women in automobile crashes related to alcohol use and failure to use seatbelts has increased significantly.

Between 1995 and 2004, women have been ‘catching up’ to men in risky behaviors. While the use of seatbelts among young men and women has increased overall, the increase for women has been much smaller.

In fact, Virginia Tsai, the study leader, and her colleagues examined accident data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration from 1995 to 2004 and discovered that, of the 139,000 fatal crashes in the age group of 16 to 24, women had a 13 percent overall lower proportion of alcohol involvement in fatal crashes than men. Nonetheless, when accounting for change, there was an increase (1.3 percent) in alcohol-related fatal crashes among women, which fell short to young men (1.4 percent) in the age group of 21 to 24 years.

Automobile crashes are the leading cause of death among young adults and adolescents, combined with alcohol and failure to use seatbelts.

Study results were presented Wednesday, May 16 in Chicago.

UC Irvine Renames Administration Building to Aldrich Hall

UC Irvine will rename the Administration Building to Aldrich Hall in honor of former chancellor Daniel G. Aldrich, Jr. on Tuesday, May 22 at 4-5:30 p.m. outside Aldrich Hall in the Anteater Plaza.

Aldrich, founding chancellor in 1962, joined the UC system in 1943 as the Dean of Agriculture and served his term at the University from 1965 to 1984. He oversaw the development of the institution from its blueprints and believed that the land-grant college should serve the people.

After 22 years of service, Aldrich retired in 1984, coming out of retirement twice to serve as interim chancellor at UC Riverside and Santa Barbara. Aldrich died in 1990 as chancellor emeritus after serving the UC system for 47 years.

At the tribute, Aldrich’s family