Bomb Threat Attempts Midterm Delay

The UC Irvine Police Department investigated a bomb scare in the Social Science Lecture Hall after receiving a threatening e-mail at 2 p.m. last Friday, May 25.
After an initial search, Police Chief Paul Henisey said that it appeared that there was no evidence of any sort of explosives in the building.
The threat coincided with a chemistry midterm in SSLH. Professors and administrators moved the midterm to Humanities Instructional Building 100, ushering students arriving at the original site to the School of Humanities.
Henisey believes that the threat was most likely an attempt by a student to avoid the midterm.
‘I don’t want people thinking they can get out of a midterm by [sending in a bomb threat],’ Henisey said. ‘The location was quickly changed, so guess what? You still have to take the test.’
The UCIPD will be working with NACS to determine the origin of the e-mail. Another administrator noted that they would be looking to see who did not show up to the midterm to assist the investigation.
To Henisey’s knowledge, this has been the first incident specifically concerning a bomb threat since the end of last year. However, in recent weeks, Bren Hall has experienced several fire alarms, which may have also been attempts to avoid academic responsibilities.
According to California Penal Code 148.1 (a), ‘Any person who makes a false bomb report is guilty of an alternate misdemeanor/felony. The misdemeanor violation is punishable by up to one year in county jail; the felony violation is punishable by 16 months, two or three years in state prison.’