Eggs Spotlighted at Aldrich Dedication

In the background of last week’s Aldrich Hall Dedication, Asian American Studies professor Claire Kim led a crowd of UC Irvine students in a silent protest for cage-free eggs, eliciting a mix of apathy and respect from the ceremony attendees.
The Aldrich dedication protest marks the culmination of a 13-month campaign for UCI to switch to using eggs that do not come from hens kept in battery cages. A recent surge also coincides with Hospitality and Dining’s implementation of a cage-free eggs ‘pilot program,’ which offers cage-free options at some dining locations but at higher prices than campus-wide cage-free products would cost.
UCI’s Administration Building was officially renamed Aldrich Hall on May 22, in tribute to Daniel G. Aldrich, the university’s founding chancellor who served from 1965 to 1982. The event was well attended by important faculty and administrators, including Chancellor Drake and Nobel Prize winner F. Sherwood Rowland, in addition to the founding chancellor’s wife Jean, son Daniel G. Aldrich III and daughter Elizabeth Toomey.
The heads of UCI Hospitality and Dining Services were all present and able to see signs that read ‘Stop Serving Cruelty.’ UCI Hospitality and Dining Services would not comment on what he thought of Kim’s silent protest.
On the other hand, the Aldrich family welcomed the silent protest.
‘We were absolutely thrilled when the Aldrich family came over to our demonstration line and introduced themselves and thanked us for being there,’ Kim said. ‘More than one distinguished guest, including Dr. Jack Peltason, told us that Chancellor Aldrich would have approved of our presence, for he believed that the open and respectful exchange of ideas is what makes a university great.’
The cage-free eggs issue has gained substantial support in recent months from the local and university community members