You, Me and Everybody Else

While the music industry is busy catering to the tastes of elitist indie-snobs, Carrick Moore Gerety, Mikey McCormack and Austin Williams of the band Everybody Else are now breaking out as the new rebels of modern music times.
They’re also a pop band. That’s right, I said it. They’re pop and not afraid of flaunting their upbeat melodies and lyrical gems.
In an interview with the Denver Westword, Gerety, the lead vocalist and guitar player of Everybody Else, made the bold declaration that he is a populist. Firmly against elitism, Gerety insists that whatever he likes, he wants to be consumable by the masses.
‘It makes people feel special to like music that most people can’t like,’ Gerety said.
Drummer Mikey McCormack is also adamantly against the narrow minds of some music snoots who try to attack music that can be enjoyed outside of an elite circle.
‘I sorta feel like the elitist indie-rockers have this idea that songs that are too good are not good at all. Like if a song is well-written, well-crafted, then it’s trash,’ McCormack said.
‘It’s so funny to me that a band that sounds exactly like 12 other indie-rock bands out right now is considered really hip and they’re totally hyped and totally cool and their songs suck but they sound just like all these other bands. How is that cool?’ Gerety asked. ‘Isn’t it cooler to do something that nobody else is doing? I feel like that’s what we’re doing.’
With their fusion of pop, new wave and soul, Everybody Else has built a large fan base that has been growing exponentially since signing to The Militia Group. They even recorded a ‘fluffy’ song for an Old Navy commercial which the band enjoyed being a part of even though some underground artists would deem such an act as ‘selling out.’
‘Oh, honestly that was mostly for money,’ said an amused Gerety. ‘It’s hard enough to make a living as a musician nowadays and there’s just millions and millions of different ways to make money, but I’d rather do a commercial now and then instead of working at a bookstore.’
‘There used to be a time when pop music wasn’t a bad thing, you know,’ McCormack said.
He vigorously defended his claim, referencing legends such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Blur, which influenced and appealed to most indie-rockers today.
Music enthusiasts are all guilty of pigeon-holing a band by taking a quick superficial glance at them and simply dismissing them as being too slick or glossy and just not good.
‘People said the same thing about Beck and Weezer and you know where they are now,’ McCormack said.’They’re pop music and all the indie-rock snobs love them just as much as anybody else.’
The trio has been clumped into a category including Rooney and Phantom Planet, but everybody else knows that Everybody Else differs from these bands melodically, vocally and in overall style.
‘Regardless of whether people think we’re too poppy or glossy or whatever you want to call it, I think we’re doing something new and different and that’s cool. To me, originality is the coolest thing ou there,’ Gerety said.
Rooney and Phantom Planet are personal friends of Everybody Else, but just because certain bands are in a group of friends doesn’t mean they are all similar.
‘We’re also friends with Rilo Kiley. Do we sound like Rilo Kiley? I don’t think so,’ Gerety said.
Though Gerety does admit that there is some similarity between the bands because most have listened to the same kinds of music, he is still strong in his belief that Everybody Else’s sound is unique.
‘Pop music just means that it’s memorable. There are memorable songs in every genre, whether it’s indie-rock, hip hop or rhythm and blues,’ Gerety said.’Anything that is not memorable, I’m not that into.’