Baseball On Verge of Super Regional: Saturday

323
323

The UC Irvine Anteaters made things very interesting in Round Rock, Texas this weekend. UCI’s baseball team upset the University of Texas 3-1 on Saturday, moving it one win away from the Super Regional Playoffs.
Scott Gorgen was as incredible as anyone could have expected against a potent Texas offense. Gorgen went the distance for the third straight time; it was his fifth complete game of the season.
In the bottom of the third inning, Gorgen surrendered a solo home run to Texas’ Bradley Suttle. However, the home run seemed to provide Gorgen, rather than the Longhorn hitters, with a rush of momentum.
Following the home run, Gorgen allowed just two hits and the rest was up to the Anteater offense.
UCI went to work right away, as it did on Friday. Taylor Holiday crushed a triple to center field to lead off the game. A few pitches later, sophomore Ben Orloff singled him home with a base hit to left field. Holiday’s triple extended his hitting streak to 19 games, the longest of any player since the program was brought back in 2002.
In the top of the third, Holiday reached base again to lead off the inning, this time on a throwing error by shortstop Chais Fuller. As he does so often, Orloff laid down a flawless sacrifice bunt to advance Holiday to second. Senior Cody Cipriano followed with a single, moving Holiday ninety feet from home.
With runners on the corners, Senior Matt Morris laid down a bunt up the first base line, scoring Holiday and regaining the lead 2-1.
The Anteaters granted Gorgen an insurance run in the seventh, courtesy of none other than Holiday. He ripped an RBI double down the right field line, scoring senior Aaron Lowenstein.
But Gorgen wouldn’t need it, as he held the Longhorns to their lone run and improved his record to 11-2.
‘When I went out there [to the mound], I reminded him we’ve been in clutch positions before