Traveling With ASUCI International Day

The world can be just a few steps away from our very own campus here at UC Irvine. At least that was the message of Associated Students of UCI International Day on Tuesday, May 29. Held on Ring Mall, this event featured over 20 different booths, each sponsored by a UCI club, organization or department. Although many booths featured opportunities to experience the world abroad, other organizations were also welcome to showcase international themes.
Amy Maguire, a second-year social ecology major and legislative representative, has been planning the event with the help of the ASUCI legislative council since winter quarter. ‘[International Day] can show the diverse population that UCI has,’ Maguire said. ‘We have a lot of international students and can show all the opportunities here at UCI.’
ASUCI’s ‘World’ booth displayed pictures from around the world and assorted cookies. Also in attendance was the Center for International Education, exhibiting its extensive abroad opportunities through the Education Abroad Program and International Opportunities Program. Summer Session Travel Study programs were also displayed in their own booth. Unlike the programs offered through CIE, these programs are only given during the summer and are open to UCI students and non-students. The travel study programs are looking to expand to more countries in the next couple of years.
For students who are looking for a more intense abroad experience, the Academy for Teaching English as a Foreign Language sponsored a booth that described programs for students who are willing to teach English. Through the Certificate Program in Teaching English Abroad, individuals undergo extensive training to develop their professional and teaching skills which they can thus exhibit abroad.
Another booth that offered an international experience without leaving Orange County is the Communication Club. This organization aims to set up UCI students with international students as conversational partners. In addition to perfecting another language, each member gains a deeper insight into a whole other culture. By meeting with your partner for an hour each week, members are also given the opportunity to build a close relationship.
For those students who want a travel experience closer to home, the Millennium Travel Club offers special deals to travel to hot spots like Las Vegas and Rosarito. Students pay one amount for a multiple-night stay in a hotel in addition to cocktails and even a digital camera.
Hillel, the Jewish Student Union and Anteaters for Israel took a different approach to spreading culture: through food. Hungry Anteaters looking for a quick snack between classes could pick up some falafel, hummus and a cold soda. Fourth year English major Reut Cohen, a member of Hillel, decided to participate in International Day because ‘both [organizations] have ties to Israel, which has a very rich culture and heritage.’
Non-international groups that also participated included Delta Delta Delta sorority. The Tri-Delta booth was decorated in the theme of ‘Europe,’ displaying beautiful European images while offering information on their Pan-Hellenic sorority. In addition, several pictures were of Delta Delta Delta members in their adventures abroad were shown. Additional booths were sponsored by the Indian Sub-Continental Club and Student Services.