‘Bad Boy’ Republicans, Whacha Gonna Do?

‘It’s a ‘Bad boy, Bill Clinton. You’re a naughty boy,” said Senator Larry Craig (R-Iowa) on NBC’s ‘Meet the Press’ on Jan. 24, 1999. ‘The American people already know that Bill Clinton is a bad boy, a naughty boy. I’m going to speak out for the citizens of my state, who in the majority think that Bill Clinton is probably even a nasty, bad, naughty boy.’
In 1999, Craig condemned the Senate’s proposed ‘wrist-slapping’ censure resolution against President Bill Clinton for having out-of-wedlock sexual contact with Monica Lewinsky at the White House. But in 2007, Craig and fellow Republican Bob Allen were caught soliciting out-of-wedlock sexual contact with male police officers in public restrooms. Come the 2008 elections, Craig’s and Allen’s constituents just might conclude that they’ve been ‘naughty boys,’ too.
In June, a Milwaukee men’s room ‘lewd conduct’ sting caught Craig peeking into a toilet stall, which was occupied by an undercover police officer. Then Craig entered the stall next to the officer, tapped his foot, tapped the officer’s foot and swiped his hand under the wall of the stall. According to the prosecution, this is ‘a signal used by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct.’
In July, Florida state representative and former state campaign co-chair to Senator John McCain, Bob Allen stepped into a stall and offered to take the occupant to a ‘quiet’ bridge where Allen could perform oral sex. Unfortunately for Allen, the occupant was a plainclothes police officer. The officer’s proposed compensation: a $20 bill.
Of course, Craig and Allen have a lengthy history of anti-homosexual legislation. (In Craig’s case, this means a vote for the Federal Marriage Amendment to make same-sex marriage not only illegal but unconstitutional, and in Allen’s case, a court brief against homosexual adoption and a failed bill to fortify Florida’s penalties for ‘unnatural and lascivious acts.’) And of course, both men are married