Letters To The Editor

211
211

New U. Is Right About Drake

I want to commend you for the forceful editorial ‘Drake Shows Disappointing Leadership,’ which appeared in the Sept. 24 issue of the New University. It is well informed, measured in its tone and reaches conclusions that are both strong and judicious. By calling a scandal a scandal, by detailing the unseemly circumstances and potentially bad consequences that may yet follow from President Drake’s strange behavior, you have done the university a real service. I was embarrassed that my colleagues in the faculty assembly could not even muster the political will to call President Drake’s leadership ‘disappointing.’ In this case you have shown the leadership that neither the faculty nor the administration have been able to exercise. Thank you. Keep up the good work!

Jerome Christensen
Professor and Chair
Department of English

Jena Six Should Be Prosecuted

Megan Brescini’s Sept. 24 article about the racism behind the prosecution of the Jena Six is characteristic of the racial panic created by the liberal media over an incident that should not have made national news. The bottom line is that the six African-American youths committed assault and should face the appropriate legal consequences for their actions.
I do find it appalling that the district attorney did not file charges against the bigoted white students who displayed the nooses on the ‘white tree’ to scare away their black classmates. Publicly suggesting that you want to kill somebody because of his or her skin color is in no way a harmless prank.
Such knuckle-headed displays of intolerance did not, however, give the black students the right to respond violently against white students. Suppose six Jewish students here at UC Irvine felt offended by the Muslim Student Union bringing Holocaust deniers and jihadists to speak on campus and decided to retaliate by assaulting a Muslim student. I doubt those ‘Irvine Six’ would get sympathy from NPR and Katie Couric because those six would not be considered amongst the minority in America
Fortunately for UC Irvine, the Anteaters for Israel and other pro-Jewish organizations on campus do not condone violence as a way of combating hate speech and would much rather address the issue by holding peaceful events. Hopefully the African-American community in Jena, Louisiana can take the same steps in the future.

Makena Dyer
third-year,
biological sciences major

Abolish Public Universities

The controversy over Chancellor Drake’s firing and rehiring of Erwin Chemerinsky, allegedly because of his political views, which was covered in the editorial ‘Drake Shows Disappointing Leadership’ (Sept. 24) is an example of the inherent and endless conflict involved with the horrible idea of ‘public property,’ like a ‘public university.’
Conflicts of interest happen within government-funded schools because everyone is forced to pay for them. Building on this injustice and violation of property rights, one can claim that everyone should have a say, and at the same time one can claim that no one should be silenced, since everyone is funding the same school. It is obviously impossible to represent every single viewpoint, so it easily turns into majority (mob) rule, or whiny pressure-group warfare. In this system, someone is always a dominant master, and someone is always a voiceless slave.
If there were a truly free market for education with only private institutions, parents and students would be able to buy the best education for the lowest price. This would solve a host of problems, such as the issue of selecting what to teach (i.e. evolution vs. creationism), reducing the cost of education and reducing the political warfare in the hiring of university faculty, among many others. At a private university, the owners would be able to hire, teach and fire whomever they want, and the students would be free to learn what they want from whom they want for a cheaper price. No rights would be violated, students would actually get educated, teachers would finally get paid and everyone would win.

Eric Brunner
second-year, undeclared humanities major