Tough Week for Women’s Soccer

The UC Irvine women’s soccer team suffered a major setback after losing to both the San Jose State Spartans and Cal Poly Mustangs this week. After their strong 4-1-1 start- all four wins were convincing shutouts- the Anteater women have been struggling to add more tallies to the win column.
On Oct. 7, the Anteaters traveled to the Bay Area for non-conference play against San Jose State at Spartan Stadium. Both teams’ defense kept the game scoreless until Jessica Scott of San Jose State scored on the 85th minute of play. Scott wasted no time scoring again as she put the Spartans up 2-0 with 2:33 remaining.
Less than a minute later, the Anteaters responded with a score by sophomore Kate Berrini outside the box at the 88:13 mark. Despite Berrini’s quick score, the Spartans held on, giving the Anteaters their fourth loss.
Two days later, the Anteaters came home to host the Cal Poly Mustangs in Big West Conference play at Anteater Stadium. Like the San Jose State game, the first goal came in the second half, when Cal Poly’s Emily Hein passed the ball to Witney Sisler. Sisler then passed the ball to Hein inside the box who converted the pass into goal.
The ‘Eaters did not take advantage of their scoring opportunities in the final 20 minutes of the game as the Mustangs held on for the win. Danielle de Seriere and Alli Tramel had one save each. However, only Tramel earned a shutout.
These two losses put the Anteaters at 6-5-1 and 0-1 in Conference play. Although they’ve shown improvement in the scoring department this season, they had a difficult time putting points on the board.
Senior captain Mackenzie Beahm stated that one of the team’s goals for the season is having a winning record. Its cushion is shrinking; if the Anteaters lose two more games, they will be under the dreaded .500 mark. The Anteaters play UC Santa Barbara in more Big West action on Sunday at Anteater Stadium.