Foods for a Fight: Products That Support Breast Cancer Research

If you’re like me, you’ve probably been overwhelmed (and slightly disturbed) by the onslaught of the color pink, which is everywhere these days. What the hell, right? I blame my tomboyish childhood for instilling in me a deep-seated dislike for this traditionally feminine color.
Confused and intrigued as to why everything has recently been colored pink, I took some time to investigate, and so should you.
What you’ll find is probably something quite familiar unless, of course, you’ve been under a rock for the last few years. It’s a pink ribbon, and you’ll be seeing it until the end of this month.
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (and has been for more than the last two decades). The pink ribbon started in 1992 when Self magazine editor Alexandra Penney wanted to promote the awareness of breast cancer, as the red ribbon had done for AIDS. The effort paid off, quite possibly more than even she had expected.
What does this have to do with food? Why, everything, of course. Where and what you choose to eat can have an impact on breast cancer awareness, research and funding. So before you grab some grub, keep the following companies and places in mind:
Yoplait’s ‘Save Lids to Save Lives’ campaign may sound familiar. This marks the tenth time that Yoplait has teamed with the Susan G. Komen for the Cure campaign. This year, the donation goal is $1.5 million, and Yoplait guarantees that it will donate no less than $500,000. Each mailed-in lid is worth 10 cents toward that $1.5 million donation. Considering the health benefits of yogurt, it’s a win-win situation all around. Check out their Web site at http://www.yoplait.com/breastcancer_lids.aspx for more information.
Mars Snackfood has also gone pink for a limited time. Everyone’s favorite ‘melt in your mouth, not in your hand’ candy