‘Islamo-Facism’ Week Ignores Real Enemy

This week, certain members of our community, at the urging of an organization called the Terrorism Awareness Project, are planning a series of events intended to draw attention to something they call ‘Islamo-Fascism.’ Islamo-Fascism, the organizers claim, persecutes women, gays, Christians, Jews and non-religious people. Among the alleged supporters of Islamo-fascism is ‘the academic left,’ which ‘has mobilized to create sympathy for the enemy and to fight anyone who rallies Americans to defend themselves.’ Departments of women’s studies, in particular, are accused of hypocrisy for failing to offer courses organized around an explicit condemnation of Islam. Finally, American scholars are accused of telling ‘two big lies’: first, ‘that George Bush created the war on terror’ and, second, ‘that Global Warming is a greater danger to Americans than the terrorist threat.’
We fully agree with the organizers of Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week (IFAW), when they affirm ‘the right of all people to live free from violence, intimidation and coercion.’ We believe that the organizers of IFAW have the right to express their views, whether on our campus or anywhere else.
Unfortunately, representatives of their position have been unwilling to extend the same right to others. Specifically, they have worked to ensure that critics of U.S. and Israeli policy are monitored, harassed and