Horowitz Disguises Racism as ‘Awareness’

Last week marked the beginning of a social and political wave of hatred and racist xenophobia emanating from the violent rhetoric of conservative students, politicians and academics everywhere. The perpetrator responsible for what was called ‘Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week’ is David Horowitz.
For those not familiar with Horowitz, a little background information: Horowitz began as a campus leftist and radical activist for peace, truth, justice and equality at Colombia University and UC Berkeley, but has since joined the right wing and led a nationwide backlash against all of those things. His about-face came in 1985, and he hasn’t stopped bashing anyone who speaks for peace, truth, justice and equality since.
His Aug. 16, 1999 column for Salon.com entitled ‘Guns Don’t Kill Black People, Other Blacks Do,’ is only a sample of his call to arms for all conservatives, angry or not, to return American universities to their religious and white supremacist origins. In 2001, Horowitz again stirred controversy when he ran vicious advertisements in college newspapers across the country titled ‘Ten Reasons Why Reparations for Slavery is a Bad Idea and Racist Too.’ The full-page ads were met with a mild response from conservative students and hurt and frustration from outraged minority students whose ancestors certainly did not benefit from slavery, no matter how much Horowitz may claim they did. Horowitz reacted to the minority students by claiming an ‘assault on free speech’ by leftist students.
Horowitz was again called out for his xenophobia and blatant discriminatory rhetoric for a Jan. 26, 2005 posting on the ‘History News Network’ Web site about ‘Why I Am Not Celebrating’ the 90th birthday of esteemed African-American historian John Hope Franklin. Franklin is the James B. Duke Professor Emeritus of History at Duke University and chairman of former President Bill Clinton’s commission on race. In the article, Horowitz launched into an attack on Franklin and then proceeded to claim that ‘free blacks and the free descendants of blacks