Kollar Refreshes a Dying Music Scene

In Orange County, it’s hard to find a good band that’s unsigned. It’s often harder to just find a local band that’s good, let alone a garage band that is off the radar, and listenable. And sometimes it’s just up to Matt Kollar to find his equipment among the colossal disarray of instruments and the usual clutter in his Huntington Beach garage.
He hasn’t even become serious yet but he’s thinking about releasing an album sometime around January.
In addition to working two jobs and being, for the most part, a one man band, 19-year-old Kollar still manages to get to school once or twice a week for recording classes. He’s also scored his first short film, a mystery thriller called ‘Ivan.’
Kollar plays a garage-full of instruments on his demo album with some help from drummer Jason and singer Lilie. His voice characteristically slides up on endnotes and sometimes combines words into one breath in what just might be a tip of the hat to Bob Dylan. But a broad base of influences shows with well-orchestrated songs that build into crunchy guitar solos from Kollar’s narrative lyrics, reminiscent of a little seafaring Colin Meloy.
Inspired by the likes of Ben Folds Five to play the piano, and by traditional folk music and artists like Paul Clayton, Tom Waits and Bob Dylan, Kollar later adopted a love of ‘sea shanties.’ He incorporated those narrative driven, call and response work songs with others usually left to bands like The Pogues into his repertoire.
Kollar’s style is a welcoming change from the abundance of country seeping into indie rock. He moves with fluidity from his dynamic piano studio songs that are an enjoyable listen even without a particular affinity for the sea, to his live sets with original work and nostalgic standards and ditties, that craftsmanship sound, bolstered by a warm group dynamic from musicians like Joel and Tisha that just plain make it work. Kollar tries to explain the lineup, ‘Its not like here’s a guitarist, here’s a bassist