150

Why would you buy a cow when you can get the milk for free? Would you buy a car without test-driving it? Lately, it seems as though premarital sex has become accepted, if not expected, in society. Is everyone really ‘doing it’? Why is it that when people say they’re virgins after the age of 18, they get looked at as though they’ve sprouted horse ears out of their heads? Why are movies like ‘American Pie,’ ‘Knocked Up,’ ‘Superbad’ and ‘The 40-Year-Old Virgin’ so popular?
Premarital sex isn’t a requirement for a marriage, a relationship or anything really. You won’t get some awful illness or drop dead because you don’t have sex at a given age. Society puts so much emphasis on sex and who’s doing it and who’s not that it seems like people are pressured to have sex as almost an initiation into becoming an adult.
What’s the appeal? What makes everyone want to do it so badly? Does it really make your relationship better? Is it really the only expression of showing someone you love them? What about the times you have sex with someone just ‘casually’? Can sex truly be ‘casual’?
The appeal of sex comes from all the hype that the media has placed on it. It’s nearly impossible to watch TV or any movie rated over PG-13 without some sort of sexual reference. Movies like ‘American Pie’ make it seem like a good idea to set a date by which to have sex to make sure you don’t graduate a virgin. While it may seem unlikely to influence older teens, underage kids do watch the movies and end up thinking that premarital sex is OK, no big deal and doesn’t mean anything.
Movies never show the consequences of being sexually active. Sure, ‘Knocked Up’ does, but it makes the possibility of becoming pregnant look like a joke and doesn’t show what it would be like to be pregnant in high school or college. Movies don’t show what it’s like to have one of the over 50 types of STDs