A Few of My Favorite Things

Before I say anything of possible importance, I have a few words regarding my column from a couple weeks ago.
As far as Kansas goes, I have nothing against the state; I was merely stating my reaction upon seeing it for the first time. I am sure it is a fabulous place to live and even go to school. Maybe at some point I will return to ‘America’s Heartland’ and get as much out of it as I possibly can. I apologize to anyone who I may have offended; that was not my intention, but I appreciate your responses all the same. Now, onto other things…
This week, I have resorted to a list format, with a few random things on my mind:

1) ‘Water for Elephants.’ No, providing beverages to circus animals is not a new hobby. I am referring to a novel by Sara Gruen. Set in the Depression era, the book tells the story of Jacob, a young man who finds himself on the road with the Benzini Brothers Circus. Sounds strange, but I cannot put it down. Be sure to check it out.

2) ‘Blackout.’ How ironic that the title of Britney Spears’ album is probably something she has been suffering from for a while now. Oh well, we all know she is not the sanest woman in the world these days. However, it seems that the former pop princess has finally done something right with her latest record. Quit laughing, this is actually fun music! Putting aside the fact that I am an old-school Spears fan, I really think this album is worth listening to. Even if you don’t like it after hearing it, think of it as your good deed for a sad soul (Spears, not me).

3) Yogurtland. Yes, I know that everyone and their mother have been raving about this place, but I just cannot help myself. Move over Golden Spoon because Yogurtland is definitely a delicious land of frozen yogurt. You can’t help but smile the second you walk in, thanks to the vibrant colors and friendly employees. The 15 or so flavors and the dozens of toppings make you feel as if you’ve seen the Holy Land. Add to this the more than reasonable pricing (30 cents an ounce), and Yogurtland is quite possibly the perfect place for a yogurt fiend such as myself.

4) ‘America’s Most Smartest Model.’ Want to feel way smarter than you already do? Watch five minutes of this VH1 show. It’s completely stupid, but very entertaining. Fourteen models who (seriously) think they are highly intellectual live together and compete by attempting to answer ridiculous trivia questions by Ben Stein. The last time I saw it, a model got a question wrong and was forced to eat a gigantic piece of cake. I’m sorry, but that’s fantastic. After ‘America’s Next Top Model,’ this show is hilariously refreshing.

5) Rasterbation. Nope, it has nothing to do with a certain word that happens to rhyme with it, so get your mind out of the gutter. Maybe I am just slow to learn about the latest technology, but the Rasterbator is an online mechanism that breaks up an image into tiny little pieces. You print the pieces, cut them out and tape them together. It sounds lame, but it is really very cool. Visit homokaasu.org/rasterbator for more information.
These are just a few things that I am currently amused with and that have been on my mind lately. Everyone likes to discover new or entertaining places, links and TV shows. The way I see it, you need amusement every now and then.