Guitar Hero 3 Makes for an All-Night Affair

When video game developers Hamonix Music Systems came out with ‘Guitar Hero’ in 2005, a new wave of gamers were born. Playing on most youths’ fantasy of being a real rock star, this game put a controller shaped like an actual guitar in your hands and gave you all the trimmings. No video game controller since those flat, no-grip old-school Nintendo controllers has achieved such cult status. We’ve seen now, with the third installment of ‘Guitar Hero’ upon us, that it deserves inclusion on the top tier.
Now with developer Neversoft Entertainment and publishers RedOctane and Activision, Inc. we get a revamping of a game that has become a staple to our generation. These companies embellish on the success and reputation of Guitar Hero, as seen with their introductory, animated emblems. Neversoft materializes Nigel Tufnel’s ‘Spinal Tap’ definition of maximum volume ‘up to 11’ while RedOctane’s red, yellow and orange pixilated flames are actually volume indicators bouncing up and down. These companies define themselves with this game, making us feel better about their efforts in putting this game out.
With ‘Guitar Hero III,’ we get more of a storyline. Your paper van is not being pushed across a cardboard United States; no one’s voice makes screeching and braking sounds. You actually see your band approached by some greasy manager and you convene in a dumpy dive bar to sign a record company contract. The world they had initially left up to you to imagine is materialized in animation, crossing the look of Gorillaz band mates with ‘Metalocalypse’ characters.
We also return to some favorites that are more embellished in their histories and back stories this time around. Staples of rock come back with punk rockers Johnny Napalm and Judy Nails. Axel Steel appears as our James Hetfield on steroids while Izzy Sparks returns as the archetypal Vince Neil, either in his hey-day or post-op. A new character, Midori, emerges with a background of classical violin and axe shredding. Other characters can be unlocked later, like Elroy Budvis and Metalhead on the PlayStation 2 versions while the God of Rock and the Grim Ripper show up on the XBox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions.
Inherently new to this installment of ‘Guitar Hero’ are boss battles that occur within your travels to becoming a legend of rock. Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine and Slash from Guns N’ Roses are some of the bosses you have to beat throughout the game. Also, Bret Michaels of Poison