Students Help in Relief Effort of Santiago Fires

188
188

The Santiago fire has burned through 28,400 acres since Oct. 21. It is now 90 percent contained, and it is expected to be fully contained by Nov. 4. According to Calfires.com, California’s source for fire updates, ‘Fifteen homes and nine outbuildings have been destroyed [while] eight residential structures and 12 outbuildings were damaged.’ The fire’s total cost is an estimated $14.2 million.
Arson is the suspected cause of the Santiago fire. As the investigation continues, organizations and groups throughout Orange County are collecting donations to aid those who were evacuated or displaced by the fire.
UC Irvine’s Center for Service in Action, previously known as the Volunteer Center, is working in conjunction with Operation OC, a relief effort originally established to help those displaced by Hurricane Katrina. The CSA has set up collection bins for non-perishables, hygienic supplies, clothing, etc. in the courtyard of the Student Center, and in its office at Student Center G301.
The American Indian Resource Program is another campus organization that is collecting supplies and monetary donations. Collection bins are located at the Cross Cultural Center and the Center for Educational Partnerships in Research Park. AIRP focuses on helping the Indian reservations that have been affected by the fires in San Diego County.
‘[The tribal reservations] don’t have a lot of that infrastructure