Television and Film: Writers Guild of America Strike Back!

200
200

Well, folks or, more specifically, television junkies, I am about to be the bearer of potentially bad news: as of Monday, Nov. 5, the Writers Guild of America is on strike.
Now, this may not sound huge, but let’s break it down, shall we?
Exhibit A: All of those fabulous late night daily shows, such as ‘The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,’ ‘David Letterman’ and ‘SNL,’ to name a few, will just not air. Maybe we will be lucky enough to get a rerun, but new shows? Nope.
Then come the good old soap operas, dramas and sitcoms. Most recently, it was announced that the new season of ’24’ has been postponed. After all, with a show that thrives on real time, how much sense would it make to air one episode at 10 a.m. and another at 11 a.m. with a few months’ space in between?
It is the dramas going MIA that makes me weep. Can we say ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and, as ashamed as I am to admit it, ‘Gossip Girl’? I’d tell you to give it a shot and watch it, it might be a bit difficult to do that now.
So why did this tragic event occur? Well, it seems that the brilliant writers who give us the fantastic television shows we all know and love feel that they should be receiving a greater percentage of the profits from DVD sales and television through the Internet.
The way I see it, this all seems more than reasonable. After all, witty, dramatic and emotional lines only come out of all of those pretty people’s mouths because of hardworking geniuses with pencils in their hands. Characters wouldn’t be funny, loving or asinine without them.
It has been a solid 22 years since a writers’ strike, and rightly so. These are very important people, so why can’t the producers just bite the bullet and give in to the people who make television shows and movies? I am irritated and I am sure that many other people are annoyed as well.
You know that the writers must have a point when A-listers like Eva Longoria and Jay Leno decide to stand outside with them in protest. (Longoria even brought the strikers pizza