Fighting Hunger & Homelessness

Service organizations throughout UC Irvine joined together this past week to involve students in Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week 2007. The event, which lasted from Nov. 13 to Nov. 16, offered students such opportunities as feeding the homeless, making blankets for the disadvantaged and learning more about hunger and homelessness through discussions and other events.
The week kicked off promptly at 7 a.m. Tuesday morning with a pancake breakfast fundraiser. The proceeds from the event were donated to Isaiah House, a non-profit organization that contributes to the fight against homelessness.
In many ways, this first event was representative of the week as a whole as multiple campus organizations banded together, including the Center for Service in Action, Circle K International and Students for Homeless Outreach United Together.
According to Darlene Esparza, the acting director of the Center for Service in Action and one of the primary planners behind Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, such festivities would not have been possible without the efforts put forth by these groups.
‘We rely a lot on the service organization to really make this week happen,’ Esparza said.
Another organization that contributed to Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week was California Public Interest Research Group. One of the more unique events that this group organized was Groove for Gratitude, a concert that took place at Student Center Plaza.
Tickets for the concert had a pre-sale value of $5, with $2 added to the price if they were purchased at the door. All proceeds from the concert went to the Orange County Rescue Mission with the aim of adopting a family. With the money collected at the concert, a homeless family will be housed at OCRM’s Village of Hope for three years.
Although such events as the concert had entertainment value, a considerable amount of work went toward planning each event. Angela Tseng, a fifth-year mathematics major who participated in Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week in past years, described the effort that went into volunteering.
‘To be involved again this year was as much a struggle