Investigative Journalist Seymour Hersh Shares War Secrets

Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh spoke at UC Irvine on Tuesday, Nov. 13 regarding his latest book, ‘The Road from 9/11 to Abu Ghraib.’ Declaring the War on Terror a quagmire, Hersh shared the secrets that lie behind the prison walls of Abu Ghraib along with his pessimistic views on the current Bush Administration. According to Hersh, we are fighting a war we cannot win.
Hundreds of UCI students, staff and community members stood outside the Humanities Instructional Building in hopes of gaining entrance to the event. More than half were turned away due to the throngs of people situated in the lecture hall, eager to hear Hersh speak.
Hersh began the lecture by unleashing what the Bush Administration has been keeping behind closed doors for years. Proclaiming President Bush a radical in the sense that he is not open to options on the War outside the administration, Hersh reminded the room that Bush ‘doesn’t care what we write or what you say.’ He was certain that Bush could not be moved from his position on the War on Terror. Later, Hersh asked the room an important question, one he claimed that Americans do not ask enough: ‘Just how fragile is our democracy?’
The Abu Ghraib Prison, 32 miles west of Baghdad, became widely known as Suddam Hussain’s area for torturing and murdering an unprecedented number of Iraqi dissidents. This prison was then turned over to a coalition led by the United States. In April 2004, Hersh uncovered several accounts of torture and rape of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. soldiers. Hersh reminded the audience of the heavily publicized video in which an Iraqi civilian was stripped of his clothing and threatened by two large Belgian shepherds. His investigations into this prison, he added, are revealed in his latest book.
‘I don’t understand why there’s not more pressure on George Bush,’ Hersh stated while discussing communication between countries in the Middle East. ‘[Bush] won’t talk to Syria. He won’t talk to Hezbollah