Youth Without Youth

With nearly 10 years between his most recent release, ‘Youth Without Youth’ and his last film, an adaptation of John Grisham’s best-selling novel ‘The Rainmaker,’ Francis Ford Coppola finds himself within a parallel existence between reality and the film’s protagonist.
‘Youth Without Youth’ features an elderly man reaching the end of his life. He is frustrated with his geriatric condition, unmarried and rendered incapable by his now- decrepit state. Given a chance with a youthful existence that enhances his mind, Dominic Matei finds new meaning within the prospects of intelligence and love. Coppola plays on these themes to make a highly personal film, mirroring Matei with the ability of exercising his artistic capabilities with ‘Youth Without Youth.’
Coppola wanted to make a film different from all his past work. After he read Mircea Eliade’s novella ‘Youth Without You,’ he knew he had a subject.
What makes this movie especially interesting is Tim Roth playing the lead role of Matei. Here, we see him step away from his previous pop culture roles. In films like ‘Reservoir Dogs,’ ‘Pulp Fiction’ and ‘Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead,’ Roth is glorified as not only an interesting stock-Tarantino character but an actor celebrated within his artistry. He embodies Matei within ‘Youth,’ bringing the story to new heights
The story of the fountain of youth in redux shows that under extreme circumstances, a man can be given a second chance through intellect and love. The film showcases Matei’s dark multiple personality in film noir style, with the realistic yet saturated colors of Eastern Europe.
Also indicative of the genre, Matei is faced with the unfortunate decision between what he truly desires