Getting Drunk on ‘Tequila’ Hurts Society

83
83

As if Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan weren’t enough to damage our culture, meet Tila ‘Tequila’ Nguyen. She is the star of MTV’s latest and perhaps sleaziest program to date, ‘A Shot of Love With Tila Tequila.’ Think of it as ‘The Bachelor’ meets ‘Next’; it’s a serialized bisexual dating show in which Tequila has 16 straight men and 16 lesbian women all vying for her attention.
In two decades, MTV has gone from a respectable all-music channel that breaks pop culture barriers to a cheap network trying to keep up with major social trends, which unfortunately sell, as seen by the current plethora of reality shows.
It can be argued that Tequila embodies what MTV stands for: breaking social barriers. The main selling point for MTV and Tequila’s show seems to be the bisexual angle, as both claim to be breaking a ‘social taboo’ in giving an openly bisexual woman such positive attention. Tequila sees herself as a role model for other bisexual teens, and MTV brags that ‘A Shot of Love’ is the first bisexual dating show on television, making them seem ‘progressive.’
However, dig deeper, listen to her speak, and ‘A Shot of Love’ is just another reality show gimmick. It is a reflection of society’s new obsession with the ‘fake.’ Tequila isn’t the wonderful progressive role-model for bisexuals that MTV advertises her to be. Rather, her persona is a fake, manufactured image whose popularity reflects the state of our pop culture society today.
Yes, some consider her to be ‘hot.’ However, since when did being ‘hot’ become the only credential needed to make millions of dollars and get your own TV show? Is this really what society has come to?
It could be argued that she took advantage of the social networking craze of the last few years and is thus a smart businesswoman. She now has over two million friends on MySpace, 31.5 million page views, a cell-phone endorsement contract and a clothing line