Women’s Basketball Wins Three Straight

Think the 54-degree weather in Irvine is cold? Try the 22-degree weather in Cheney, Wash. Luckily, the temperature in the Bren Events Center and Reese Court are virtually the same. The Anteaters defeated Eastern Washington University 68-57 on Friday night in a non-conference match.
Four UC Irvine players scored in the double figures. Senior Miranda Forry led UCI with 15 points, including two three-pointers. Senior Stephanie Duda recorded her fourth consecutive double-double with 13 points and a team-best 12 rebounds. Juniors Kelly Cochran and Kirian Ishizaki each added 13 points. Ishizaki also had a season-high five assists.
It was the Anteaters’ third consecutive victory and first road win this season after going winless in their first three contests. The story of their recent success has been the increased team effort, particularly in this match-up.
UCI came out strong in the first half, never relenting to Eastern Washington’s play. The Anteaters had consistent runs and finished the half with an 11-5 run when Forry caught fire and scored seven of those points.
They continued their surge with a 6-0 run to open the second half and got up to 41-28 with 17:36 left. EWU would eventually get into the game and cut the Anteater lead to as low as four points.
Whenever EWU pressed, the Anteaters responded with a greater run of their own. UCI stiffened up defense and capitalized on two steals from Rebecca Maessen, building a 51-41 lead with 10 minutes left and not letting the deficit grow greater than eight points for EWU for the rest of the game.
On Sunday, the Anteaters’ three game win streak came to an end, as the University of Washington defeated UCI 87-69 to end its road trip.
Duda led UCI with her fifth consecutive double-double, scoring 15 points and grabbing a game-high 13 rebounds. Senior Annie Mai ended the game with 11 points and four assists. Senior Haley Tull and Cochran each scored 10 points, a season-best for Tull. Sophomore Rebecca Maessen had nine points and three steals, and Ishizaki added six points.