‘Juno’ ‘Knocks Up’ the Box Office

195
195

At the age of 16, worries like getting a license or dating are common, but Juno MacGuff’s dilemma has 10 toes and 10 fingers.
‘No, I’m sure it’s not a food baby’ is one of the many priceless quotes in ‘Juno,’ a refreshingly original movie about a young teenage girl who unexpectedly becomes pregnant. If what we’ve learned in sex-ed is correct, this romantic comedy begins after a sensuous night between Juno (Ellen Page) and her boyfriend Paulie (Michael Cera).
With an abundance of adolescent sarcasm, Juno reveals her situation to her parents and decides to give the child up for adoption rather than have an abortion. This decision brings her into the lives of Vanessa and Mark, played by Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman, who, according to a Penny Saver ad, seem to be the most picturesque parents a teenage mother can ask for.
It was surprising how successful and poignant this movie becomes as the audience watches Juno progress from an immature child to a young mother faced with difficult decisions. Rather than letting her situation get the best of her, our heroine defies convention and approaches her situation with a sharp wit and intelligence that finally guide her to the final decision of whether to give up her baby.
This movie is not only about the conflict of becoming a young mother, but it is also about relationships and love. Paulie, the biological father, is on a successful path as a high school track star and yet his character shows unrelenting affection for the protagonist.
On the other hand, the perfect marriage between Vanessa and Mark begins to crumble as Juno’s pregnancy progresses, showing that not everything is as good as it seems on paper. Mark finally admits that he isn’t ready to become a father and once again the question of what to do with the baby is up in the air.
Finally the love between Juno’s parents toward their own children is nothing but amazing. The grandfather-to-be not only accepts the situation, but also supports his daughter’s decision with an acknowledgement that the baby belongs to her.
Juno’s stepmother is definitely mom-of-the-year as she coaches her often temperamental and rebellious step-daughter through her changes.
The dialogue between these characters is superb. Every line holds its own weight in humor and the absurdity of the language makes this comedy unique.
A kick-ass soundtrack also follows the film with a few particular scores that should be fondly downloaded by fans after they leave the movie theaters.
Page and Cera portray the awkwardness of their adolescence so realistically that it will make viewers cringe in their seats while thinking back to those good old days of gym shorts and hamburger phones. This is definitely not a movie to be missed.